RESTORING THE STAINED-GLASS WINDOWS IN THE CHAPEL OF ST PIATUS AT CHARTRES CATHEDRAL
THE TIME HAS COME TO FULFIL THE WISHES OF CANON DELAPORTE, ARCHIVIST FOR THE DIOCESE OF CHARTRES IN THE 1920S: “WE DARE TO HOPE THAT THE RESTORATION OF THE ST PIATUS WINDOWS SHALL SOON BE ACCOMPLISHED…”
The chapel, remarkable for the elegance of its architecture and stained-glass windows, is a two-storey construction on the east side of the chevet, built during the second third of the 14th century.
The lower storey formed the chapterhouse used by the cathedral canons.
In around 1335 a new chapel was built on top of this three-bay lower hall to house the relics of St Piatus.
Situated in the ambulatory, from the 1960s until 2000 the chapel was used as the treasury where the cathedral treasure was displayed. Comprising